Today we've activated some much-needed and long-awaited improvements to DIYcity which should make your user experience much more pleasurable as you continue to reinvent the world around you with others here on the site.
Lots of changes have been made, more than I will go into here, but the main ones are:
1. You can now choose to receive email for any group as a daily digest instead of individually. Lots of people have been complaining about this since day one, as sometimes threads take off in Discussions so fast that you can turn around and have 20 emails in your inbox. If that kind of thing doesn't appeal to you, just do this:
- log in
- go to the page for the group in question
- click on "My Membership" in the left-side nav
- select "receive daily digest" and submit.
(you can also use this form to turn on emails if you aren't getting them for a group, or turn them off altogether).
2. Email messages from groups should now appear with the sender's username in the FROM: field. Formerly emails came in with the group's name in the FROM field, which meant you had no idea who was sending the email. This should be a nice timesaver, giving you that info w/o having to click the message.
3. Posts on the home page now say what group they were posted from. There are so many groups on DIYcity now that the home page shows conversations from all over the place . Without that group info attached to the messages, you have no context about what you're reading, who sent it and who the intended audience is. Now all posts appear with clickable group info in the header, like so:
Submitted by davidberch on 14 April 2009 - 6:59pm to DIY El Paso, TX.
4. Lastly, the timeout error on submissions of new posts that was haunting DIYcity for so long is now closed. It has been closed for a while now, but I wanted to repost that in case anyone is still nervous about posting to the site and being met with a scary blank screen.
Okay, that's all! Slow week on the site this week, which as usual means big things are in the works behind the scenes...